apamig
AP DEMO - France's interior minister says recent civil unrest will not threaten Euro 2016 - Euro 2016 Security - AP DEMO
Details
Slug Euro 2016 Security
Dateline Paris, France. - 25th May 2016.
Story Number 5048651
Source SNTV
Restrictions SNTV Clients Only, See Script
Filed 25-May-2016 13:29 UTC
Updated 25-May-2016 15:02 UTC
URL http://www.apvideohub.com/details/5048651/Euro 2016 Security/
Story
Violent labour protests and strikes causing petrol shortages will not jeopardise the upcoming European Championship or other sporting events, France's interior minister said Wednesday (May 25).
About 1,500 people have been detained in recent weeks and hundreds of police officers have been injured while breaking up protests and dislodging protesters from fuel depots.
SCRIPTING INFORMATION:
The tensions and fuel panic have added to concern about security for Euro 2016, already facing what Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve called the double menace of violent Islamic extremism and hooliganism.
He said it will not disrupt protection of the June 10-July 10 championship, which will involve an unprecedented 90-thousand police, soldiers, private guards and others ensuring security.
That includes dozens of security officials from the other countries whose teams are competing.
Cazeneuve said border checks would be reinforced, noting that 18-thousand people have been turned away from French borders since Islamic extremist attacks in November on the national stadium, cafes and a rock concert that killed 130 people.
The government would not give estimates for the overall cost of the security.
It has previously said that 24 million euros are being spent on fan zones in the 10 host cities.
Shotlist
RESTRICTIONS: SNTV clients only. Use within 14 days. If interested in archive use after 14 days please contact www.aparchive.com. Internet use only for SNTV clients with digital rights licensed in their contract. For any questions regarding rights restrictions please contact planning@sntv.com.
1. 00:00 Bernard Cazeneuve and various officials arriving for press conference
2. 00:14 Cazeneuve walking towards lectern
3. 00:19 SOUNDBITE (French): Bernard Cazeneuve, French interior minister
"France must remain France and that is why, despite the high level of the terrorist threat which continues to weigh on our country, international events such as the COP21 or the Cannes Film Festival have taken place. That is the reason why the cycling Tour de France will take place and in the same way, that is the reason why the football Euro 2016 will take place. It will take place because nobody, and especially not the terrorists, will prevent us from continuing to live normally."
4. 00:58 Jacques Lambert, president of Euro 2016 organising committee talking with deputy sports minister Thierry Braillard on stage
5. 01:03 SOUNDBITE (French): Bernard Cazeneuve, French interior minister
"Ladies and gentlemen, a total of 90-thousand people, agents of the state, of local authorities, private security personnel, volunteers who will ensure the safety of the Euro 2016. To give you an idea, 90-thousand people it is a little bit more than the capacity of a stadium."
6. 01:24 Camerawoman
7. 01:27 SOUNDBITE (French): Bernard Cazeneuve, French interior minister
"Since the re-establishment of the controls at the borders on November the 13th last year, so for a bit more than six months, 35 million people have been controlled in the two ways on all our land, air and sea borders, and more than 18-thousand people have been pushed back at the entrance of our country."
8. 01:48 Mid shot Gael Perdriau, mayor of Saint-Etienne (and representing Alain Juppe, president of the Euro 2016 host cities), Patrick Kanner, sports minister and Cazeneuve on stage
9. 01:53 SOUNDBITE (French): Bernard Cazeneuve, French interior minister
"Today one can get (petrol) supplies because we ensured that the supply points are unblocked. And even if there is an over-consumption, we make sure that the trucks can come to the petrol stations, so people can get supplies. So public transport is working until evidence to the contrary, the (petrol) supply points are unblocked, the petrol stations have stocks so I invite all who want to come to France, to come and enjoy an important sports event."
10. 02:32 Various of officials posing for family photo (from left to right: Noel le Graet, president of the French Football Federation, Gael Perdriau, Patrick Kanner, Cazeneuve, Thierry Braillard and Jacques Lambert, president of Euro 2016 organising committee
SOURCE: SNTV
DURATION: 02:43